The acquisition is by way of a €1bn ($1.4bn) deal with Doğan Holdings, purchasing its 54.17% stake in Turkey's largest fuel retailer and boosting OMV's 41.58% stake already held in Petrol Ofisi.
Petrol Ofisi has more than 2,600 fuel stations across the country and this is OMVs second attempt at the purchase, the original deal last year being shelved because of an internal dispute between Doğan Media Group and Turkey's tax authorities.
As well as strengthening OMV's presence in the region it has, according to a report from Turkey's Energy Market Regulatory Agency, also taken the total lubes market into majority ownership of five non-Turkish companies. Some 65% of market share is held by OMV, Shell, BP, Total and Lukoil-Alpet.
Although the fuel distribution market is fragmented, the 'big five' also control this market share with 78%, leaving the remaining 46 companies just 22% between them. According to reports, Petrol Ofisi had rationalised its forecourt operations, reducing its number of outlets by some 700 before the sale was concluded.
Published 1st November, 2010
Looking for more information about OATS products and services?
additives Africa And finally Asia Australia automotive industry Aviation base oil bio fuels bio lubes BMW BP Brazil Castrol Chevron China China and finally China Internet Marketing China Lubes Marketing China lubes news China Lubes Tech China OEM Equipment CNOOC CNPC CO2 emissions ConocoPhillips Corporate News e-commerce electric vehicles Environment and Regulatory watch Environment, regulatory and standards Europe ExxonMobil Ford Forecasts Fuchs GM Great Wall India innovation Inovation and environment Internet marketing Japan Lubes marketing Lubes news Lubes tech Lubricants marine Middle East Mobile technology motorsport N America Nissan North America OATS OEM and automotive OEM Equipment PetroChina Russia S America Scandinavia Shell Sinopec social media Total Toyota View from the Bridge Volkswagen Volvo